Seo Tips: There are two main aspects to search engine optimization. The first is referred to as “on-page SEO tactics” and the second, “off-page SEO tactics.”
In the next section, we’ll discuss the basics of “on-page” search engine optimization and other SEO tips.
As you look at the HTML code below you may not understand any of it!
That’s OK we will give you the quick and dirty basics here.
On-page SEO is primarily technical in nature and needs to be applied to every page of your website. Websites are not optimized as a whole but rather one page at a time (but with a global perspective of what is trying to be achieved).
I’m not going to go into great detail as to what is specifically done to each page but I am going to give you a good overall understanding.
More SEO Tips: On-Page SEO Should Accomplish Three Main Objectives:
- Your website’s code (illustrated by the code from Walmart.com above) should be well-coded. By this, I mean that it should be easily read and understood by search engines.
- Each page of your website should be built around “intelligent keyword phrases” that are likely to draw targeted visitors to your page/site.
- Your site’s design should be attractive and your content found useful to visitors so as to encourage them to stay as long as possible on your site.
One on-page SEO tactic that isn’t even widely discussed it what is called “Visitor Experience Optimization.” (aka VEO)
Google (and other search engines) have the ability to track how long the average visitor stays on your website and gives added benefit to sites that have a longer than average “visitor duration.”
It stands to reason, right?
If the majority of your website visitors hit the “BACK” button after being on your site for only three seconds, it could be assumed that they either didn’t like what they saw or they didn’t find something they felt was relevant to what they were searching for.
However, if your visitors stay on your site for 1-3 minutes (or more), the search engines will give you a boost in the search engine rankings as your visitors have “spoken.” They obviously have liked something about your site long enough to hang around and therefore, your site is believed to contain “valuable” content.
This is one of the reasons that it’s wise to consider adding an “involvement device” to your website. This could include getting your visitor to sign-up for your company newsletter (to receive a coupon or other free gift), adding video to your website or simply allowing them to comment on the content you’ve posted.
All three options help your visitors connect with you in a more personal way than just having the ability to read your website’s content and can help you bring you more business in addition to helping your site rank better in the search engines.
SEO Tips: Off-page SEO Tactics
There are a number of “off-page SEO tactics” but one of the most important search engine optimization tips is how many links your site has “pointing at it” from other websites/pages across the internet.
SEO Tips: If you’d like to get a general idea of how many links the search engines have found for your site, do this…
- Go to Yahoo.com and enter the following into the search box: link:www.yourdomain.com (replacing “yourdomain.com” with your actual domain name).
- Click the button to conduct your search.
- This will take you to the “Yahoo Site Explorer” as shown above. Once on this page, select “Except from this domain” from the “Show Inlinks” drop-down menu so Yahoo will only show you the links it found from the other sites that are linking to you.
SEO Tips: The more links your site has, the better.
This is because each link can be thought of as a “vote” for your site. The search engines figure that if others like your site well enough to link to it, then it probably contains valuable information.
This is why we use Article Marketing, Web 2.0 Strategies and a variety of other techniques to continually build links for our clients.
In our experience, two of the best (and fastest) ways to get in front of your targeted audience is either by creating a custom Facebook Fanpage for your business or by taking advantage of the local business listingsbeing offered by Google, Yahoo! And Bing.
I hope you have enjoyed these SEO tips and take consistent action in marketing your business everyday.